Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Meditation

Wow. That's the first thought that came to mind. In IDH, we briefly meditated for about 10 minutes in class and it was the most relaxing thing I've ever done. The guided meditation we had was easing and took a lot off the day's stress away. I really enjoyed it in class, so I started trying it at home. I'd lay down right before bed and go through the process I created myself.

Close your eyes.

Inhale deeply, then exhale slowly.

Create a natural rhythm of breaths in and breaths out, thinking about the universe. Think about the stars, the colorful sighs of the supernovas and the creamy tones of your own Milky Way.

Look out into the sun, it is shining, but it is not burning your eyes. It recognizes you as part of itself. It smiles at you, nodding your at your presence as you soar by beyond Mars and Jupiter, and Venus, and Saturn.

You are now back to earth, feel your feet slowly root into the ground, deeper and deeper. feel yourself sinking into relaxation and bliss, deeper and deeper.   


Feel your face relaxing. The muscles you have been straining are now light and floating below the thick layers of clear skin. Your pores feel the heat and cool emanating from them and permeating them. 

Let yourself feel your breathing as you sense the air gliding in and out of your lungs and your chest expands and contracts. Feel your diaphragm, growing and shrinking with every breath.


Feel your arms, thighs, and legs sinking into an abyss of nothing but comfort and gentle air. You are being held up by the lack of gravity. You do not need to strain those muscles to stand. You are laying in a field of constellations. Let yourself sink in and float up. You don't have to be in control. The universe will be in control for you.


Breathe, picture the winds of time blowing you from one end of the galaxy to another. Feel the winds surrounding you. Embrace the wind. Be the wind.

I was a non-believer, but now that I've tried it, I'm positive it works. I thought is was one of those things people said they did to sound different and cool, you know, like the new wave of Buddhism that has surged in our generation just because it's the new "in" thing. I hate being "in". It's something I try not to be. I don't like the "in" crowd, and I always preferred to be "out" and away than in the epicenter of all the idiocy. It struck me as a new trend, everyone trying to be "one with the earth", mostly smoking pot in their backyards and listening to Bob Marley. I didn't think it was something that would go hand in hand with my personality.

You see, the thing with my personality type is that I don't have a specific type. I can't be categorized into a specific cliched group,  or put into a clique, because I have so many different types of interests and favorites that it would be extremely difficult to label me as one thing alone. What I am not, however, is a follower. I am a leader, even if it is not of the masses, it is still important to know what ideas I want to further. That's why I hate to do the things "everyone" does. Because I don't like "everyone" and I don't want to be like "everyone" and there's nothing that bothers me more than "everyone" trying to take in "someone" and ruining their happy independence. I don't want to look like you, I don't want to talk like you, and I surely don't want to be you. I want to be me, and that makes me happy.